The David Anderson Charitable Trust Collection: Original Print Sale
Dean Brownrout Modern/Contemporary is honored to announce The David Anderson Charitable Trust Collection: A sale of original prints to benefit Western New York community organizations.
The proceeds of the sale will be divided, according to David Anderson's specific instructions, among the Albright-Knox Art Gallery, Buffalo and Erie County Botanical Gardens Society, Buffalo History Museum, Buffalo Museum of Science, Buffalo Prep, Buffalo Zoo, Burchfield Penney Art Center, Hallwalls Contemporary Arts Center, Nichols School, The Park School of Buffalo, SPCA Serving Erie County, University at Buffalo Foundation to benefit the Anderson Gallery, and Westminster Presbyterian Church.
The sale of approximately 400 works on paper includes prints by Karel Appel, Norman Bluhm, James Brooks, Christo, Jim Dine, Claire Falkenstein, Sam Francis, Michael Goldberg, David Hayes, John Hultberg, Paul Jenkins, Lester Johnson, Jules Olitski, Gio Pomodoro, Clayton Pond, Ludwig Sander, George Segal, Julian Stanczak, Antoni Tapies, Walasse Ting, and Mark Tobey, among many others.
The quality of this collection highlights the discerning taste of David K. Anderson (1935-2009), an internationally recognized art dealer, collector and philanthropist. This one-day sale is a rare, five-hour opportunity for the public to select and purchase from this world-class private collection.
Anderson had deep connections with Western New York. His mother, Buffalo native Martha Jackson (1907-1969), was one of the 20th century's most important art dealers. Raising her son in New York City, Jackson instilled in him a lifelong love of art.
Anderson chose to attend UB in the 1950s. He then returned to New York City, first working at his mother's eponymous gallery, then, in 1959, opening the David Anderson Gallery downstairs. Devoted to works on paper, his gallery played a leading role in establishing an original, fine-art print market, often commissioning, publishing and showing prints by artists in conjunction with their painting exhibitions one flight up.
For the next two decades, Anderson's impact on the art world was felt internationally. Opening a gallery in Paris (1961), he introduced works by American artists to Europe. He returned to the Martha Jackson Gallery in 1967, and operated it into the 1980s. Near the end of this period, Anderson reintegrated himself into the fabric of Western New York life, moving back to Buffalo to raise his family.
His philanthropic contributions to Western New York are legion. He established the Anderson Gallery in 1991--a state-of-the-art exhibition space in Buffalo's University Heights district--and ran it as a commercial gallery until 2000, at the same time forming a significant private art collection. The gallery's street address, One Martha Jackson Place, was created in tribute to his mother and his family's legacy in the region. In 2000, he gifted the entire building and a large part of his private collection to UB.
Anderson's vision for the disposition of the Charitable Trust Collection was that the artworks within it would be displayed and enjoyed. To that end, he intended that the art be affordable, so that individuals from the WNY community could acquire original artwork with a stellar provenance. Many of the works for sale are from the vital period in the 1960s when Anderson was working in close conjunction with his mother.
In addition to his desire for the art prints to be personally enjoyed, Anderson also left instructions that this private collection, and its proceeds, be shared and benefit as many people and regional institutions as possible. This instinct reflects values inspired by his family and his lifetime of art-filled enjoyment and promotion. Anderson's generosity and commitment to Western New York are part of his legacy.
Admission to the event is free, and there is plenty of free parking available.
All items for sale at this event are from The David Anderson Charitable Trust Collection, and are not derived from any public museum collection, including the Anderson Gallery and UB Art Galleries.